LIT UP: A dusk-set look at the public art installation on the corner of Cherry & Eastern. Photo by Dan Philips.
Corktown, Toronto eNewsletter for the week of January 25, 2016
DOMINION DAY: The freshly-renovated Dominion Pub is hosting their grand opening celebration this Thursday, January 28 from 6 to 9 p.m. Corktown.ca’s Dennis Kucherawy had all the details for you last week. There will be snacks, giveaways and music — and, of course, a great, fun local pub vibe. RSVP to Dominion@fabrestaurants.ca to reserve your spot.
FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT: Speaking of ace journo and local resident Dennis Kucherawy, here’s what he’s been covering lately:
- Toronto was a winner at the Oscar nominations. The nominees included former Corktown resident Stephan Moccio, nominated for best song alongside Toronto’s The Weeknd, and the film ROOM, which picked up four big nominations and was filmed right here in Toronto, with many scenes filmed right across the river at Bridgepoint Hospital.
- Speaking of ROOM, one of its stars, Tom McCamus, is set to take the stage at thew Groundling Theatre on the Danforth with a production of Shakespeare’s THE WINTER’S TALE. Dennis has the details.
- For songandscript,ca, Dennis talks to musical wizard Colleen Allen — who produced Soulpepper’s 2013’s production of Rebel Rebel: The Music of Davie Bowie — about the life, career and legacy of the man also known as Ziggy Stardust, in an exclusive interview.
WDLC MEETING: The monthly public meeting of the West Don Lands Committee is set for tonight — Monday, January 25. Please note that the meeting this month will be in a different location, with the proceedings taking place at 80 Mill Street in the 2nd floor amenity room (entry code 1145).
On the agenda this month: a presentation from the Gardiner East Environmental Assessment team on new proposals for improving the Jarvis to Cherry corridor. The meeting goes from 7 to 9 p.m.
FUSILLI WINE TASTING MENU: Longstanding Corktown favourite Fusilli Ristorante is hosting a Four Course Wine Tasting Menu this Wednesday, January 27 at 6:30 p.m. Menu and details are on their website.
NEED A LIFT: Lift Crossfit has started to gear up for their planned Spring 2016 launch of their crossfit studio at 508 King East. You can learn about their plans and programs at their website.
ON STAGE: On stage this week, you can continue to catch Alumnae Theatre’s production of STEPPING OUT. Tickets are online. At the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, Soulpepper has COWBOY VERUS SAMURAI debuting on Tuesday, January 26. Ticket information is on the Young Centre website.
You can also get tickets for DEFENDING THE CAVEMAN, an “hilariously insightful, interactive play about the ways men and women relate.” It runs from February 11 through February 26 at Alumnae Theatre. Details are on the show’s website.
- The Corktown Residents and Business Association Annual General Meeting is fast approaching. Join us on Tuesday, February 2 at Little Trinity Church Annex (King East & Parliament) between 7 and 9 p.m. as we look back on the year and elect a new board of directors. Members will also be asked to vote on a bylaw amendment allowing board members to serve for five years. We’ve posted amendment details on our website.
- Corktown’s Cahoots Theatre is hosting a SIGNature Gala event at SIGNS Restaurant & Bar. The event will be a celebrating of community, the arts and deaf culture, with proceeds going to support Cahoots’ programming. Details are on their website.
Got a story about something going on in Corktown? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.