A CLEANER CORKTOWN COMMON: A shot from last year’s Corktown Common community clean-up. Join the Friends of Corktown Common for the 2015 Clean-Up on Saturday, April 18 at 10 a.m. Meet at Odin Cafe + Bar (510 King East.)
Corktown news & events for the week of April 12, 2015
CLEANER CORKTOWN: Friends of Corktown Common is hosting a Community Clean-Up this Saturday, April 18. It’s all part of the Clean Toronto Together city-wide initiative. It’ll run from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m, with participants meeting at Odin Cafe + Bar (510 King East) — coffee and treats will follow the clean-up. Bring some gloves! See Friends of Corktown Common’s website for details.
BE A GOOD SHEPHERD: We were delighted to welcome representatives from the Good Shepherd Centre (412 Queen East) at last week’s CRBA meeting. They’ve provided us with some follow-up details.
- First, if you are looking to donate to the Centre, click here for their “wish list” of needed items.
- Good Shepherd Centre will be hosting a neighbourhood clean-up on Friday, April 17 between 10:30 a.m. and noon. A special lunch will be provided for all volunteers. Click here for details.
- The Centre will host their annual fundraiser golf tournament on July 9. If you’re interested in hitting the links for a good cause, click here.
RETAIL TALE: The first seven retailers and restaurants of the newly-developed West Don Lands (or, if you prefer, the Canary District — but either way it’s in Corktown!) have been announced. We’re very happy to welcome the following businesses to the area:
- Dark Horse Espresso Bar
- Fuel Plus
- The Running Room
- Think Fitness Studio
- Pizza e Pazzi
- Tabulé Middle Eastern Cuisine
Urban Toronto has some details on the retail plan. These businesses will open in the months following the Pan Am Games this summer.
REGENT PARK PLANNING MEETING: A reminder that there will be a Community Update Meeting on the Regent Park Revitalization on Monday, April 13 between 6:30 and 8 p.m. at Daniels Spectrum (585 Dundas Street East.) Click here to view the flyer for details.
GARDINER EXPRESSWAY EA: A public meeting to discuss the current phase of the Gardiner Expressway East environmental assessment is set for Wednesday, April 15 between 6:30 and 9 p.m. at the Toronto Reference Library. For details and to register, click here.
- A public consultation regarding the revitalization plan for Corktown Parks (including Bright Street Parkette, the Power Street dog park,Sackville Park, Shuter-Sumach Park, Little Trinity Park and Percy Park) will be held on Monday, April 20 at 7 p.m. The meeting will take place at St. Paul’s Basilica (83 Power Street).
- A special lecture on the Lost Breweries of Toronto will be held at Enoch Turner Schoolhouse (106 Trinity Street) on Tuesday, April 28 at 6 p.m. Click here for registration details.
- Looking ahead to Jane’s Walk — the much-beloved springtime tradition — there’s a Corktown-specific walk to keep an eye on: the Three Centuries of Corktown walk.
- Save the date! The next Corktown Residents & Business Association meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 5. We’ll have representatives from the Pan Am Games present to give details on what to expect this summer. Details will be posted on corktown.ca shortly.
Got a story about something going on in Corktown? Email email@example.com.